The Ultimate Guide To Clothing Security – Part 3
So far you’ve learned how to use clever merchandising tricks to prevent shoplifting incidents from ever occurring. You’ve also gained some insight into how a strict fitting room program can keep customers honest and keep merchandise in your store. So far, you’ve probably learned that clothing security doesn’t have to mean securing that leather jacket with the newest Checkpoint Tag, but simply merchandising it in a way that makes it difficult for a shoplifter to get their hands on. Well, and I hate to say this out loud, but every now and then you will be the victim of a theft, no matter what programs you have in place.
By using those methods that you’ve learned so far, and using Checkpoint Tags on those high end products, you will most likely reduce about 80% of your losses from theft. Somewhere in that remaining 20% will be organized retail theft. The best clothing security device and the strongest Checkpoint Tags won’t stop these thieves. This is their full time job and they will stop at nothing to rob you of product and profits. Is there anything you can do? Well of course there is.
Grab and run shoplifting incidents are one of the most common methods for these groups. They stroll into a store, grab a handful or two of those expensive garments and make a mad dash for the doors. They’ll worry about removing those Checkpoint Tags later, in the comfort of their own homes. The only clothing security measure that will stop them is to lock everything up behind a glass case. We all know that isn’t going to float over well. What you can do however, is be aware of your customers. I preach customer service all day, every day. No matter if I’m talking to hourly associates, or a group of company executives. The best loss prevention strategy is to provide outstanding levels of customer service. A thief simply doesn’t want to be noticed. If they are greeted and assisted by your employees from the minute they walk through the doors, you will shrink the size of the target on your store.
Often times these groups will rely on several individuals to distract store employees. Train your teams that if they feel they are being distracted by a group, to immediately call for assistance. To you and your team, you’re coming to prevent theft. To the honest customers, you’re calling in reinforcements to help them with their shopping trip. You can use Checkpoint Tags from the floor to ceiling, and they won’t be as effective as a well-trained employee. I’ve seen this happen in a few of my stores and it has sent these groups down the road. Your employees have to care and you have to train/teach them to. Bottom line. If they don’t care about your profits, or your managers “can’t find the time to train”, then it’s time to find a new employees and managers.
Have you experienced any incidents of organized retail theft? How have you handled them? I’d love to hear about them, so feel free to drop us a message in the contact us area. I hope you’ll come back for our final installment as we discuss some frequently overlooked ways that you can use in order to battle shoplifting loss.
For more information, contact us at Clothing Security, or call 1.770.426.0547